Twinfools

Instagram: @twinfools

Twinfools, or Lucas, is a male cosplayer on Instagram. I had the pleasure of interviewing him.
He was very positive with his answers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you define cosplay as?
I say I'd define it as embodying fandom. Making costumes, performing, role-playing, crafting, creating videos/photos and making characters from fiction come to life. :)

First experience with cosplay?
I've always loved dress up, but my first venture into something that resembles cosplay was making a Tai (from Digimon) cosplay in elementary school. I spent hours cutting out colored duct tape and putting it on a blue shirt. I was too embarrassed to wear it in public, though, so I put on a tracksuit to wear overtop while I walked to my fellow nerd-friend's house. I ended up getting pulled into a basketball game with some other local kids, but I was still too embarrassed to take off my track suit so I sweat like I've never sweat before!

Why do you cosplay?
I love portraying my favorite characters as if they were real. I've also really grown to love the crafting and performance pieces of it (acting, sewing, wig styling etc).

What problems do you notice in the community?
I think, because cosplay is so centered on people's real bodies and comparing them to the impossible standards of cartoons and media, there's a lot of body shaming. There's a lot of awesome body positivity work being done as well in the community which is a hugely positive movement. I also feel that some folks can get swept away in notions of fame and hierarchy and end up isolating others or themselves.

How long have you been cosplaying?
About a decade now! :)


What kind of cosplayer do you consider yourself?
I consider myself a "big loser" XD


Cosplay or crossplay? Both?
Mostly cosplay, I don't have the confidence to cosplay women most of the time.


Do you see yourself cosplaying in 10 years?
I hope so!


If someone told you they hated your cosplay, what would you do?
I'd validate their right to feel that way (it's all subjective after all!) and, if they were willing, I'd want to ask what about it they hate and what critiques they had to offer. I earnestly think it's the best way to learn and grow.


If someone told you they loved your cosplay, what would you do?
Thank them a million times!! It's always a really huge honor to hear that :3


Homemade cosplay or bought/commissioned cosplay?
A mix of both! Though I like the ability I have to customize/fit handmade costumes to my liking... but I'll often buy or commission if I don't want to make something or if it's above my skill level.


There is a lot of debate if westerns/Asians should cosplay, your thoughts?
I feel that anyone who wants to cosplay should cosplay... part of the freedom of it is traversing the boundaries of everyday life. What becomes problematic is when cultural appropriation or blackface/brownface happens... in which case I think folks should listen to what hurts/offends people and not do it. There's no reason to do something for cosplay that you know hurts others, whether you can identify what that hurt feels like or not.


Do you prefer to work alone or with others?
Definitely with others! All of my inspiration comes from my friends/fellow cosplayers :)



Do you have a current cosplay fave?
I'm really excited to cosplay Prompto from FFXV, I hope it turns out!


What is your most expensive cosplay?
Chat Noir, I think. I commissioned the bodysuit and had to remake the boots/wig/gloves a few times. Came out to about $300 or so?

What is your least expensive cosplay?
Jack Frost! It was all re-purposed clothing splattered in paint XD


What is your favorite cosplay?
I was really pleased with how Kai (Beyblade) turned out :3 plus that character is a childhood fav of mine ;D


What is a cosplay pet peeve of yours?
Elitism, I can't stand it. I hate seeing people treated as "lesser" or undeserving of someone's time because of how their skill level or "popularity" is perceived.

If you could cosplay anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I'd love to go back to Australia again to be honest :3


Where was your first convention?
Anime Evolution 2007!


Where was your last convention?
Technically PAX West, although we only went for a day. Before that it was Anime Revolution 2017.


What is your favorite part of putting on your cosplay?
Putting on the wig (usually the last part) and seeing the whole thing all put together!

What is your least favorite part?
Basically everything else... haha actually I really hate the itch of a wig after a few hours so that's kind of ironic...


Videos or photography?
Tough choice! I love making short meme-like videos... I also love doing photoshoots but haven't been able to do many recently :(


Photoshopped or unshopped images?
Photoshopped, for sure. I feel like it really makes the images stand out :)

For costuming, there is also a huge debate about who and what can cosplay. Your thoughts?
Again, I feel like unless you're harming or offending a group or person... a person can cosplay whoever they wish! If we could only cosplay characters who were exactly the same as us we would all have almost no characters to choose from.

Do you have cosplays that are sometimes painful or uncomfortable? Are you willing to bleed for your art? If so, how much?
All the time! Usually it's just discomfort (headaches or backaches)... but occasionally there's cuts and bruises and jabbing pain. I'm usually a wimp and won't put up with much, however if I'm a guest a con I consider myself "working" so I'll usually tough it out as long as I can. 

How far into the character are you willing to go while in cosplay? At the end of the day are you "YOU" or are you your "CHARACTER"?
I'm usually just me XD I worked a long time on Lucas and it's hard to cover him up haha. I will usually only be in character for performances or videos... and even then I'm not great at it.


Wigs or no wigs? Do you prefer to style your wigs, commission a style or buy them pre styled?
Wigs! I love me some wigs ;D I style all my own wigs, and it's definitely the part about the hobby that I feel most drawn to/confident about :)

Contacts or no contacts?
Usually no contacts.

How do you save money for your cosplay?
I worked long and hard to get a comfortable career that pays a good salary. From Day 1 I was very determined to not engage with cosplay in a financial way. It meant working for free and not cosplaying as much as I wanted but it now means I don't depend on cosplay in any way, which keeps it fun for me :)


Where do you find yourself cosplaying? Is it something you stick with for conventions and events only?
Cosplay, for me, definitely centers around cons, however I think I do a great deal of it for video filming/photoshoots/social media stuff :)

Where do you go most often for photoshoots? Do you do photoshoots?
It depends on the weather! Haha but we usually try to find a place that suites the series (forests, parks, beaches, public exhibits...)


Describe yourself with a meme?
Any meme where a person is doing something horribly tragic.

One question you have for me?
What's your favorite thing about cosplay? :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fuyuzorakun

FOMO A.K.A Fear of Missing Out