Gabathegeek

Instagram: @gabathegeek

A very spunky and energetic cosplayer. Interviewing them was fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you define cosplay as?
Cosplay for me is representing a fictional character by dressing up to look like them doing your own interpretation of the character (genderbending, gijinka, etc).



First experience with cosplay?
My first experience was dressing up as Korra from The Legend of Korra simply for Halloween which ended up being fun because I never made anything like it before.

Why do you cosplay?
I cosplay to find beauty in my flaws. For example, I do not like how my face isn't very feminine, however in cosplay this works to my advantage when it comes to crossplay. It also helps with body confidence and I have made the best of friends through the hobby.

What problems do you notice in the community?
For me I find that the community at its base was created for those who did not feel like they fit into the normal social circle. It was also a place for those who had been bullied to distance themselves from the real world and be accepted. However, cosplay is becoming more and more mainstream and attracting those "bullies" so now it has become corrupt. Instead of being a place of acceptance, the cosplay community became a place of judgement and comparison.

How long have you been cosplaying?
I have been cosplaying since October 2013

What kind of cosplayer do you consider yourself?
I consider myself a closet cosplayer since I will do my best to make sure I do as little work as possible. I do however on occasion sew costumes from scratch.

Cosplay or crossplay? Both?
Both!!

Do you see yourself cosplaying in 10 years?
I hope I can continue for as long as possible. This hobby has brought me such joy and I can't imagine who I would be without it.

If someone told you they hated your cosplay, what would you do?
I would agree with them honestly. I dislike some of my cosplays too, but it's me who is wearing it and so it doesn't matter what others think

If someone told you they loved your cosplay, what would you do?
I would honestly surprised and thank them

Homemade cosplay or bought/commissioned cosplay?
I'm a mix of both but I try to make as much as I can or modify stuff from the thrift shop

There is a lot of debate if westerns/Asians should cosplay, your thoughts?
COSPLAY IS FOR EVERYONE

Do you prefer to work alone or with others?
I love working with others as long as it's for the final product. I prefer to work on my own when it comes to the costume itself


Do you have a current cosplay fave?
Oh boy I would say my Arabian Sousuke because it's one of the few that I made entirely.


What is your most expensive cosplay?
I think Arabian Souskue and Bertholdt are the most expensive. Sousuke was a lot of fabric and an arda wig but Bertholdt was a lot of ebay stuff and the same arda wig


 What is your least expensive cosplay?
Leone! It cost me (even after I upgraded it) around $30

What is a cosplay pet peeve of yours?
Oh gosh I hate it when people in the community will get into intense drama over fictional characters

If you could cosplay anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I went to France and there were so many gorgeous locations! I would love to go back for photos

Where was your first convention?
Naru2U2013

Where was your last convention?
Animara Con 2017

What is your favorite part of putting on your cosplay?
Doing the makeup is always fun!

What is your least favorite part?
Attack on Titan straps and getting a wig properly fitted is the death of me

Videos or photography?
Photography

Photoshopped or unshopped images?
I can't stand to look at myself without photoshop or at least a beauty filter

For costuming, there is also a huge debate about who and what can cosplay. Your thoughts?
EVERYONE CAN COSPLAY ANYONE

Do you have cosplays that are sometimes painful or uncomfortable? Are you willing to bleed for your art? If so, how much?
I have had way too many instances of "do it for the cosplay"... I once open-chest binded for over 12 hours straight at a con with really bad tape and ended up with blisters and scars because the tape ripped off my skin when I took it off

How far into the character are you willing to go while in cosplay? At the end of the day are you "YOU" or are you your "CHARACTER"?
I am horrible at being in character. In the end, I'm me in an uncomfortable outfit just hanging out with my friends.

Wigs or no wigs? Do you prefer to style your wigs, commission a style or buy them pre styled?
I usually aim to not have to style wigs but I do prefer those over normal hair any day

Contacts or no contacts?
I only recently was able to put in the contacts but I really don't think they're worth it

How do you save money for your cosplay?
I do photography so the money I make then is my cosplay budget. So I'm almost never in the red!

Where do you find yourself cosplaying? Is it something you stick with for conventions and events only?
I really cosplay whenever I can. I will cosplay every weekend I can and go in public just for fun on occasion

Where do you go most often for photoshoots? Do you do photoshoots?
I take photos of myself at home in my mom's bathroom but I sometimes get my mom to take photos of me around the city

Describe yourself with a meme?
I just AM a meme

One question you have for me?
It's hard to think of one after answering so many... How about: In your opinion, how can we make the cosplay community less toxic?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twinfools

Adonis_cosplay